U.S. House of Representatives Bill Looks to Expand Who Can Receive a Veteran Identification Card

By: Daniel J. Knight

On May 18, 2015, the United States House of Representatives passed H.R. Bill 91 which would expand who is entitled to receive a Veteran Identification Card (“VIC”).  Currently, VICs are only issued to veterans who have either (a) completed the statutory time-in-service requirement for retirement from the Armed Forces or (b) have received a medical-related discharge from service.  Under H.R. 91, VICs would be available to any covered veteran who (1) requests the card, (2) was honorably discharged from service, (3) presents a copy of the DD-214 form or other official document from the official military personnel file of the veteran that describes the veteran’s service, and (4) pays a small fee (to be determined).

Today, many public and private institutions offer goods and services to veterans who can demonstrate their veteran status.  Without a VIC, a veteran is forced to carry his or her DD-214 discharge papers.  The purpose of H.R. 91 is to provide veterans with an easier means of identifying his or her veteran status without having to carry those papers.  Though the VIC would identify one’s veteran status, it would not serve as proof of one’s entitlement to any benefits.

The bill is currently before the United States Senate.

A link to the full text of the bill can be found here.

For more information on this topic or any litigation issue, please contact attorney Daniel Knight at (919) 277-2541 or by email, DKnight@andersonandjones.com.

This summary is for informational purposes only and does not constitute legal advice or opinion.